Monday, April 02, 2007

The Mushroom Experiment

A number of years ago, we would get 'spent' bags of mushroom spore bags, no longer viable for commercial use. From a area commercial mushroom business. They sold these by the pickup truck load for $5 [at the time I had a 3/4 ton long bed pickup] so we definitely got our moneys worth. The initial reason for getting them was to use it for mulch. I had just built this shed so I thought it would be a good idea to see if we could get any mushrooms to grow. It was hot that spring, I hosed the bags down with water and hung them up and shut the door. I was really amazed a couple of days later to open the door to see a forest of mushrooms growing. Needless to say that summer we got our fill of mushrooms that summer, and as the old saying goes be careful what you wish for. Our appetite for mushrooms went away for a few years. Of course when we tired of the bounty we used the straw filler for mulch

No comments: